Sunday, September 6, 2009

I just started taking liquid acidophilus for Ibs and I am getting side effects are these normal?

Resolved Question

I just started taking liquid acidophilus for Ibs and I am getting side effects are these normal?

I have chronic Diarrhea and other issues due to digestive problems,so I started taking acidophilus a few days ago,I have noticed allot more gas then usual and really bad heartburn,I am also getting headaches is this normal with acidophilus?What is going on here??Am I taking too much possibly?am I allergic???

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

It's normal when you first start taking Probiotics to have a little more gas and/or loose stools... it's just your body's way of regulating itself. Loose stools normally clear up within a couple days and the gas usually tapers off within a few days to a week or so... last time I changed Probiotics, the gas lasted 4 days.

The heartburn and headaches on the other hand are very odd... are you allergic to dairy at all? Many Acidophilus products are grown on dairy and may have some left in them. If not, there are two ways to go about this... you can either keep taking them to see if it passes (if it's not bad) or you can stop taking them and see if it goes away. If you keep taking it and it passes, it was probably a random occurrence and you'll be fine (maybe something else in your environment or your body trying to purge some toxins). If you stop them and it goes away, then try them again a few days later and it comes back, you're definitely allergic to something in the pill. Some experimentation may be in store. Good luck and I hope I helped!

Source(s):

There are currently no comments for this question.

Other Answers (1)

  • Oldtimekid is right on...but to go with that the heartburn and headache can be a sign of detoxing...your body is getting rid of some of the toxins in its system and that can come out in a myriad of different ways. If you want a little more help in that area, you can also try adding in a good quality pre and pro-biotic. Do your research and find a source of quality. You really do get what youpay for and some of the ones found at your local department store (*cough*WalMart*cough) are full of synthetic chemicals and additives which are more harmful than not taing them at all.

    Good luck!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogroll

Site Info

Text

Alternative Medicine Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template

Web Stats