Monday, August 24, 2009

Can someone give me a list of foods that help with depression and contain serotonin?

Resolved Question

Can someone give me a list of foods that help with depression and contain serotonin?

I know bananas and chicken do. What else?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

I'm not sure what foods contain serotonin (or if foods even do contain serotonin..) but there's a great pill out there called 5HTP. It's a serotonin replacement therapy and works really well. You can get it at any drug store and it's a bit pricey but totally worth it. You take it at night time (because it can make you quite sleepy) and in the morning time I always notice a BIG difference in my mood. I'm much more happy, easy going, etc.
I've also heard of something called St. John's Wort or something like that which is supposed to be a mood enhancer. Not sure if it contains serotonin or not, and I've never taken it. But it may be cheaper, I really have no idea. Maybe post something asking if people have tried taking 5HTP or St. John's Wort and what results they got to decide which to get?
Hope this helps!

There are currently no comments for this question.

Other Answers (3)

  • Fish Oil (particularly Omega-3 fatty acids, which are also in a few other places) are supposed to help fight depression, but do not have serotonin.

    St. John's Wort is also supposed to help fight depression, but carries a risk of 'serotonin syndrome'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_w…
  • Serotonin is a neurotransmitter (brain chemical). Foods do not contain serotonin. There are foods that help release it though (for your information).

    Chocolate my friend. Chocolate is number 1 in that department.
  • walnuts have seretion and 5 htp

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogroll

Site Info

Text

Alternative Medicine Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template

Web Stats